Wednesday, February 3, 2010

In Which We Once Again Fail to Visit Kew

Today I decided once again to work at the National Archives.  When I got on the tube at Kings Cross, there was "A good service on all lines," but when I got off at Victoria to change to the District line this was no longer the case.  Not only was there not a "good service," but all service was suspended on the branch of the District line going to Kew.  Unlike many places in London which are served by multiple Underground lines, Kew is served by only one, so if I was going to get there, I needed to take the District line. 

There was no indication of how long the trains would be stopped so I decided to get on the next District line train heading down one of the line's other forks.  I went as far as far as South Kensington and decided to get off and see if the situation had improved – it had not.  I was hoping that there would be an announcement that bus service had been arranged between stations on the offending portion of track or that there was some other alternative available, but, alas, I was left stranded.

What to do?

With no promise of service being restored any time soon, I decided that rather than venture further from central London on the District line, I would cut my losses, turn back, and head once again to the LMA.  That makes one time this week (yesterday) which I successfully visited TNA.

1 comment:

  1. oh dear, closed on mondays and served by 1 tube line-- so this is why it takes british historians so long to do research: has nothing to do with their actual work but the logistics of london. ah well, at least you are there for awhile and not squeezing this into a summer trip! have fun :)

    ReplyDelete