Sunday, January 24, 2010

In Which We Arrive

While the past may be a foreign country, it has never asked for my passport.  The United Kingdom is, understandably, a little more demanding of its guests.  While I have visited Britain a number of times in the past, I have never stayed longer than a semester before.  This time, however, I will be staying for a little less than six months.  Since the stamps in my passport from previous trips read "Leave to Remain for Six Months," and since I will be back in the states in just under six months, I was expecting a quick trip through passport control.
 
On the contrary, the immigration officer wanted evidence of how I was going to support myself for the duration of my stay and asked to see bank statements verifying my account balances.  While I did not have the forethought to pack any, I was ultimately able to assemble enough other pieces of evidence (including a letter stating the value of my stipend) to be allowed to enter the country for six months.

So, if you are planning to do research for a prolonged period of time, be sure to pack your bank statements.

No comments:

Post a Comment